The EU's cross-border healthcare directive aims to:
- Clarify and simplify the rules and procedures applicable to patients' access to cross-border healthcare;
- Provide EU citizens with better information on their rights;
- Ensure that cross-border healthcare is safe and of high-quality;
- Promote cooperation between member states.
This is dependent on the healthcare service being the same as or equivalent to a service that would have been provided to the patient within their home country in the circumstances of their case.
- They may have a copy of clinical reports, diagnostic tests and therapeutic procedures.
- They will be ensured continuity of treatment after having received healthcare in another country.
- Protection of their personal data will be guaranteed.
- They will have all the necessary information at their disposal through the National Contact Point.