Find IVF - In Vitro Fertilization in Greece. Select the best IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Clinic in Greece, save money on your treatment, compare reviews, prices and find all the information you need.
What is IVF - In Vitro Fertilization?
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a form of assisted reproductive technology (ART). The procedure is used to help women conceive in situations where conception isn’t possible due to infertility.
How does IVF work?
IVF is the process of manually fertilizing eggs by extracting the eggs, obtaining a semen sample, and combining these. Several embryos are obtained from this process. These are transferred to the uterus where implantation occurs. More than one embryo can be implanted to account for the fact that not all will develop into a pregnancy.
It is possible to freeze some of the embryos for transferal at a later time.
IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Treatment Duration
The initial IVF process – before eggs are extracted – happens in cycles. Each cycle can last a few weeks to allow time for consultation, to administer fertility medication, and for the egg to develop.
It takes about 3 – 5 days for the fertilized eggs to develop into embryos.
What are IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Risks?
A small number of people may experience side effects to the hormones administered at the start of IVF to stimulate egg production.
Possible side effects include:
- Mood swings
- Abdominal pain
- Hot flashes
- Abdominal bleeding
- Very rarely ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome
Seek medical advice if you experience more serious symptoms.
A low level of risk is associated with IVF. Patients are usually able to resume day-to-day activities a day after the treatment.
Possible side effects include:
- Passing a small amount of blood
- Mild cramping
- Mild bloating
- Breast tenderness
- Ectopic pregnancy could occur after embryo transfer – if you experience the more severe symptoms associated with an ectopic pregnancy, you should urgently seek medical attention
Seek medical attention for more severe symptoms.
IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Statistics
On average, nearly 30% of women achieve pregnancy and about 23% result in live births (CDC Report, 2009).
A woman's age and the reason for infertility can influence the success rate.
The outcome of IVF depends on multiple factors, especially the reason for infertility and the patients ages.
The data is as follows for the live birth of 1 baby or more:
- 34 years and under: 40% success rate
- 35 - 37 years: 31% success rate
- 38 - 40 years: 21% success rate
- 41 - 42 years: 11% success rate
- 43 years and over: 5% success rate
Greece is the birthplace of democracy and is famous for the Olympic Games and its many historical sites. Greece is located in Southeastern Europe and has a polation of over 10 million people, the official language of Greece is Greek.
Healthcare in Greece
Greece has a universal healthcare system which provides financial protection and health care to all their citizens. Greece is also a very popular medical tourism destination worldwide where patients can have their treatment and enjoy the Greek history, culture, natural beauty and thousands of islands. With your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you will be able to get a reduced price and in some cases even free treatment.
The Transport System in Greece
Greece has a well developed modern transport network of railways, roads, rapid transit, air routes and ports which makes it a very easy to get to your destination. The most popular way to get to the different islands are by ferry.
Airports in Greece
The most popular airports in Greece are:
- Athens International Airport in Athens
- Heraklion International Airport in Heraklion
- Thessaloniki International Airport in Thessaloniki
- Rhodes Island International Airport in Rhodes
- Chania International Airport in Crete
- Corfu Island International Airport in Corfu
- Kos Island International Airport in Kos
- Santorini (Thira) Island National Airport in Santorini
- Zakynthos Island International Airport in Zakynthos
- Mykonos Island National Airport in Mykonos