Find IVF - In Vitro Fertilization in Spain. Select the best IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Clinic in Spain, save money on your treatment, compare reviews, prices and find all the information you need.
What is IVF - In Vitro Fertilization?
In vitro fertilization (IVF) is a form of assisted reproductive technology (ART). The procedure is used to help women conceive in situations where conception isn’t possible due to infertility.
How does IVF work?
IVF is the process of manually fertilizing eggs by extracting the eggs, obtaining a semen sample, and combining these. Several embryos are obtained from this process. These are transferred to the uterus where implantation occurs. More than one embryo can be implanted to account for the fact that not all will develop into a pregnancy.
It is possible to freeze some of the embryos for transferal at a later time.
IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Treatment Duration
The initial IVF process – before eggs are extracted – happens in cycles. Each cycle can last a few weeks to allow time for consultation, to administer fertility medication, and for the egg to develop.
It takes about 3 – 5 days for the fertilized eggs to develop into embryos.
What are IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Risks?
A small number of people may experience side effects to the hormones administered at the start of IVF to stimulate egg production.
Possible side effects include:
- Mood swings
- Abdominal pain
- Hot flashes
- Abdominal bleeding
- Very rarely ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome
Seek medical advice if you experience more serious symptoms.
A low level of risk is associated with IVF. Patients are usually able to resume day-to-day activities a day after the treatment.
Possible side effects include:
- Passing a small amount of blood
- Mild cramping
- Mild bloating
- Breast tenderness
- Ectopic pregnancy could occur after embryo transfer – if you experience the more severe symptoms associated with an ectopic pregnancy, you should urgently seek medical attention
Seek medical attention for more severe symptoms.
IVF - In Vitro Fertilization Statistics
On average, nearly 30% of women achieve pregnancy and about 23% result in live births (CDC Report, 2009).
A woman's age and the reason for infertility can influence the success rate.
The outcome of IVF depends on multiple factors, especially the reason for infertility and the patients ages.
The data is as follows for the live birth of 1 baby or more:
- 34 years and under: 40% success rate
- 35 - 37 years: 31% success rate
- 38 - 40 years: 21% success rate
- 41 - 42 years: 11% success rate
- 43 years and over: 5% success rate
Spain is famous for its sunny weather and Spanish food and is the second largest country in the EU with a population of over 46 million, it is located in southwestern Europe on the Iberian Peninsula. The majority of the population speaks spanish which is the second most spoken language in the world.
Healthcare in Spain
The Spanish healthcare system is ranked among the best in the world and consists of both private and public healthcare. As Spain is a part of the EU and an EEA country, holiday makers and visitors from another EU state can make use of the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). The EHIC card can be used for necessary treatments as advised by your doctor but does not give you access to private healthcare and cannot be used if you come to spain to give birth or have ongoing treatment.
The Transport System in Spain
The network of bus and train services in Spain are among the best in Europe and also has a well developed network of railways, roads, rapid transit, air routes and ports which makes it a very easy to get to your destination. The Cities in Spain all have bus networks and are reasonably priced. Spain has the AVE(Alta Velocidad Española), a high speed rail transport system which is the longest HSR network in Europe and second in the world.
Airports in Spain
Spanish air traffic is routed through several international and regional airports, the most popular airports in Spain are:
- Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas airport in Madrid.
- Barcelona-El Prat airport in Barcelona.
- Palma De Mallorca airport in Palma De Mallorca.
- Málaga-Costa Del Sol airport in Málaga.
- Alicante-Elche airport in Alicante.
- Gran Canaria airport in Gran Canaria.
- Tenerife South airport in Tenerife.
- Ibiza airport in Ibiza.
- Lanzarote airport in Lanzarote.
- Valencia airport in Valencia.
- Fuerteventura airport in Fuerteventura.
- Sevilla airport in Sevilla.
- Bilbao airport in Bilbao.
- Tenerife North airport in Tenerife.
- Menorca airport in Menorca.